Friday, April 1, 2011

Just Do It (For His Kingdom)

Romans 12:8
If it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do so cheerfully. 


And in the church God has appointed first of all apostles...those able to help others, those with gifts of administration, and those speaking in different kinds of tongues.


The Inconspicuous Leader

We need good leaders both in public and "behind the scenes."
You have had a couple of weeks to ponder the question I left with you earlier: "Why do you do what you do?" or "Why do you lead the people you lead?" To answer this question myself, I lead because God gave me a strong sense of what it takes to "inspire others to reach their full potential in the pursuit of a common vision." You might question whether this statement is too bold, as I have never accomplished any extraordinarily public vision. However, I will not apologize for it. So far, God has not given me a highly public vision of leadership. Indeed, you too might not have a vision of leadership that will catch and captivate the public eye—and you don’t need one. We need good leaders in conspicuous and inconspicuous places.

 The Highly Visible Purpose
 

However, while you personally do not have to be conspicuous, I would suggest that your purpose be highly visible. In other words, the type of leadership that you’re involved in doesn’t have to be something that the general public would label as overwhelmingly significant, but you should always explain your vision to those under your leadership. When I have embraced the right vision, been given the right authority, and been inspired with the right purpose, God has blessed my leadership.

Even the most mundane tasks of our leadership should become "spiritual"
when we become Christians.
But what if you are a Christian business person leading unbelievers? Why would you explain your Kingdom purpose to them, and isn’t that just a waste of time? I don't think so. I cannot help but compare those times that my unbelieving employees listened to what God was doing in my life with 1 Cor 7:14: "For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband." When I chose to share my God-given purpose with those I was leading, even my unbelieving employees found contentment in the company leader's morals and had a positive reaction to them.

 Reflect and Respond
 

Have you identified a kingdom purpose and told the peo.ple you lead what it is? Was it the truth? Remember that, for the most part, the extent to which your followers believe you is a fairly accurate measure your kingdom purpose’s truth. Show me a Christian businessman who laments this hard economy with his employees yet spends freely on his own pleasures, and I’ll find unimpressed and uninspired followers. In this scenario, the businessman’s kingdom purpose might be in question—if he even has one.

Do you believe the following statement: "If you are a Christian and you have been given the spiritual gift of leadership, then all of your leadership life is spiritual”? I have found that about half of Christian leaders believe it and half don't. In fact, I can remember a time when I didn’t believe it. In those days, I divided my life into two categories: work in the world and work at church. However, I eventually realized that God gave me the gift of leadership so I could use it ALL the time. It was only then that I began to understand that what I did in my business life was for a kingdom purpose, and therefore, so was ALL of my life in leadership. 
"The Bible leaves no doubt that there is a special reward for those who preach the gospel, whether they do so voluntarily or, like Jonah, are compelled." 
The Bible leaves no doubt that there is a special reward for those who preach the gospel, whether they do so voluntarily or, like Jonah, are compelled. However, I suspect the reward for business people who have a similar intensity toward a kingdom purpose for their business might just enjoy more eternal rewards than the minister who preach with self-serving motives (please, pastors, no letters!). Let us use all our leadership life for His kingdom—24/7.Just do it, for Him, all the time.


Photos courtesy of Bareknuckleyellow and Theogeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment