Friday, April 29, 2011

Getting Good Church Leaders

1 Timothy 3: 1-7
Here is a trustworthy saying: If anyone sets his heart on being an overseer,[a] he desires a noble task. (2) Now 
the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, 
hospitable, able to teach, (3) not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of 
money. (4) He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect. (5) (If 

anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God's church?) (6) He must not be a recent convert, or he may become conceited and fall under the same judgment as the devil. (7) He must also 


have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil's trap.  

Church leaders have more bearing on the future of a
church than it's building.
How do you choose your church leaders? What do you expect of the leaders in your church? In Paul’s letter to Timothy, he certainly lays out the foundational character traits that God requires of those who hold the offices of elder and deacon. It is a common list of Christian character and life qualifications that you can look at in two ways.

Two Ways of Looking at the Church Leadership Job Requirements

At first glance, the bar might look a bit low, as these traits are really what every Christian should be striving for. If you take this position, you’ll quickly realize that the standards are the same for everyone in the church, producing a long list of qualified individuals.

On the other hand, the fact that Paul identified and listed these characteristics emphasizes the need for a solid pattern of righteousness in the life of an elder or deacon. Paul knew that we would not be able to judge a person’s heart. However, he also knew that we would see evidence of qualified leaders through the lives they lived. A developing, righteous church leader will soon admit that, in the depths of his spirit, he feels that he falls short. Therefore, it might seem strange or even contradictory that a self-admitting sinner can acquire a solid pattern of righteousness that would then qualify him for the position of elder or deacon. However, it is this very battle within a developing leader that points to his being qualified! It is that very level of humbleness that is a part of the whole of righteousness.

 "It is that very level of humbleness that is a part of the whole of righteousness."
My Experience as a Church Leader

I have served as elder now in two churches. The first one was in need of an elder, and I accepted the challenge as from the Lord. There was no self or public evaluation, no review, and no time period of testing. I was asked, I was placed on the slate, and I was voted in.



I was asked about everything from my walk with God
to my history of giving to the church.
However, when I was asked to consider serving as elder in the church that I serve in now, the process was much different. I was only asked to consider serving after someone nominated me. When I agreed, church leaders gave me a questionnaire comprised of about two dozen questions to answer. The questions were very detailed as to my walk with God, my history, my giving to the church, my work in shepherding others, and so on. Church leaders also contacted and interviewed my wife. I was given a written theological exam that had to be completed in one hour with no references and no "study Bible.” I was then interviewed for one hour by the entire pastoral staff along with other lay leaders. Then my name was presented to the congregation for a time of testing. Only after this multi-month process was complete did the congregation vote to accept me as an elder.

I need to be honest with you. I almost declined finishing the process because I thought it "over the top.” After all, I participated in three Pastoral ordination counsels myself, and I did not see any difference between the bar that was set for me and the one that was set for pastors. For some time after becoming an elder, I even began to plan, to myself, when I would take the initiative in introducing a change in the process.

Raising the Bar

That day never came. While we as elders continue to fine tune how this process is implemented, the list I included above is intact. And now, years later, I embrace that the process. I embrace it because of the quality of the group of men that I serve with. The importance of character is revealed when you, as a leader, wrestle with fellow leaders over church matters, large and small. Your personal interests, your value of money, your weaknesses, your love for God, your love of people—all will be revealed, especially inside the board room.

Paul raised the bar, not only to appoint good people, but also to appoint people who can stand the tests of each other, thus maintaining unity in the church. Some would criticized these kinds of processes by saying such they are designed to control, issued only to "weed in" friends of the current leadership. Friends, do not believe this lie, for even if it were true, such leadership tests will ultimately produce leaders who, like Paul, will labor for Christ and His church, not man.

Food for Thought:
  • Do your church elders/leaders have a "bar exam"?
  • Did you pass it?
  • Can you?
Photos courtesy of GlassSunrise and RubberBullets

No comments:

Post a Comment