Sunday, September 8, 2013

Two Things I Am Fearful Of - Fear Part 2

Hebrews 11:7 By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in holy fear built an ark to save his family. 


Fear Part II
In Part 1 we looked at the life of Noah and watched how his holy fear of God drove him to obedience. His obedience was driven by his strong belief in God and the fear of the consequences of ignoring God's command and direction. His righteousness by faith preceded his holy fear of God.

In preparing the application of holy fear into our lives today, I ended that short study with a question for you, namely; What have you done lately out of your holy fear of God? Have you thought of anything? If not, does that concern you at all? If you are not concerned, might I gently but firmly say that you should start being concerned about it right now. To not be concerned that the creator of the universe and the Savior of the world is watching your every move and knowing your every thought is a quite dangerous position to be in. Throughout the history of man, God has demonstrated his mercy but also has demonstrated that while His grace is unlimited, his patience is not always unlimited. Our friend Noah can testify to this.

There are other less significant ways why I have a holy fear of God but I must share two of my fears so that all may understand better what I am talking about. One fear has developed within my business world and one consistently remains in my ministry life.

First, my business fear. For the last 15 years God has shifted my dominate focus back and forth; from business to ministry, and then ministry to business. For the last 4 years my business life has dominated my time. During the course of the last two years I have tried to balance the emphasis of the services of the company I own. To accomplish this I have felt for two years that I needed another location that was much more visible to the public. I even outlined the geographical area and even a stretch of the street I thought would be a great location. About two months ago a location on this street became available. It appears to be a phenomenal building and location. About 2 months ago I went and looked at it. After speaking with the owner he told me that although he had several other calls about this property, he preferred to give me first choice. The decision was mine to make.

You might ask what would generate holy fear in this? Well my friends, I am 59 years old going on 70. I feel I could just work where I am and in five years or so get out and sell and not be concerned about the 20 employees currently working for me. Many of those that work for me have been with me for over 15 years. There is a battle within me between my entrepreneurial spirit and my age. Add that to my "felt responsibility" to provide for the future of those that work for me and you find a guy looking for a new location even though many would tell me to stay put. When I finally had to choose what to do, I said to my wife that I was more fearful of NOT expanding than I was of staying where I was. When God supplies the location that you feel you need right in your lap and the guy who owns it wants me there, I then become in holy fear of refusing the blessing God is offering. If I state to the Lord in my quiet time that I love Him with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind, ... and that loving God provides what I believe the company needs, ... how could I demonstrate that my love and faith in Him is real if I do not take the risk?  I was in holy fear and afraid NOT to.

I have a similar fear in ministry. For 15 years I have been teaching leadership, writing these articles and finding time to do seminars and meeting with anyone who wants to hear what I have to say. I have traveled to dozens of locations within the US, once to Canada, twice to Nigeria and now preparing for my fourth trip to Sierra Leone, Africa. I leave with a teaching partner November 1st.  During these times of teaching leadership I know God has uses the teaching gift he gave me. However, God also knows I detest heat and humidity. While I have developed some very good friendships in Africa, I would rather travel in comfort to Iceland! 

The blessings I receive enduring the African climate and from other opportunities teaching Christian leadership exceeds the greatest business sale or contract I have ever sold. In light of that I feel my life would be worthless if God took back the teaching gift if I refused to go. So that my friends is one main reason I will return to Africa this November. For I stand in holy fear if I don't go.

Please do not be tempted to say I am wrong to feel the way I do. Don't be tempted to tell me that I should not feel the "felt responsibility" for my employees future. Do not be tempted to say that God won't necessarily take my teaching gift from me just because I would choose not to go. Friends, do not tell me that for it makes no difference if you are right or if I am right. What is important to me, and what should be important to you is that I stand in holy fear of God and you should too .. about something

I believe a holy fear of God causes a change in what we do next.

What will you do next?  And why? 



No comments:

Post a Comment