Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Are You Happy at Your Work?

 By Harold Biswas

You will be happier at your work if you truly work for the Lord.
For most people, one of the most dreaded questions about work is, “Are you satisfied with your job?” In this deep and long recession, even Americans who are fortunate to have jobs are becoming unhappy with them. In fact, only 45 percent of American workers were satisfied with their jobs in 2009, down from 61 percent in 1987. This statistic was the lowest ever recorded by the Conference Board Research Group in more than 22 years of studying the issue, according to a recent Associated Press news release.

As per our scripture reference, happiness at work is a gift of God. Absent that gift, the work turns into a “job,” something that most Americans don’t look forward to each day. Whether it is stress or pressure, deadlines, or meeting goals, many professional men and women grow weary and tired at work. Although they strive to do everything in their power, they manage to do nothing more than simply get by every day.

Looking at the Biblical philosophies of work, every Christian worker should ask these two vital questions: 
  1. What is the source of my talent and expertise, 
  2. Do I do what I do, ultimately, for the Lord.
What is the Source of Your Talents?
James 1:17 says, “Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights....” In this day and age, where there is no lack of management or leadership training offered by the employer, it is very easy to develop a self-sufficient attitude or independent mind-set. All the “how-to” books are even a bonus for that attitude.
"However, it should be a fundamental belief for Christian workers that the source of any strength, skills, expertise and talent is God Himself."
However, it should be a fundamental belief for Christian workers that the source of any strength, skills, expertise and talent is God Himself. Nothing pleases the Lord more than when His children acknowledge that source and work passionately to please the Giver of their gifts. Forget the source, and you are inviting unhappiness at your work because, on your own strength, you will not be able to stand the everyday pressure of work.

Are You Working for the Lord?

Secondly, ask yourself, whatever you are doing, are you doing it for the Lord? The Bible, in Colossians 3: 23-25, tells us, “whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”

Yes, in most cases, my boss asks for my work, and yes, the department head will assess my performance, but do I have that recognition as a Christian believer that I am serving my Lord Christ through my work? When the recognition is missing, it gives rise to unhappiness, because you fail to find the real meaning of work. 
"Yes, in most cases, my boss asks for my work, and yes, the department head will assess my performance, but do I have that recognition as a Christian believer that I am serving my Lord Christ through my work?"
A “job” turns into “work” for someone who understands and practices this personal leadership principle, which is to acknowledge God as the source of everything and to serve Him ultimately at work. Work is a greater call to fulfill; it is being able to see how God sees things, being able to introduce everybody around you to your Heavenly Father in a subtle way, something that a mere “job” is not able to provide.

Can you say today: “I am excited today because I am going to work. I know who is the giver of my gift at work, and I know who am I doing it for.”

No comments:

Post a Comment